Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Aventuras en Andalucía

Hi everyone! Keeping a consistent blog is more difficult than I thought. The longer I wait to write it, the more things I have to write about, and the more difficult it is to put everything into words! But I will do my best.

Many things have been happening since my last post. The rest of the students in our program arrived a while ago, which means our Early Start session ended and real classes started. Granada is growing on me like a weed. The weather is great (before it drops 30 degrees at night), the city has so many hidden surprises, and there is natural beauty to be found everywhere. I like that the streets and people here are familiar to me, and that there is a comfort in coming home to Granada after a weekend trip.


I never imagined I would learn a language this quickly. Granted, my grammar is not the best, and I use infinitive verb forms far more than necessary, but I am definitely improving. Our program director, Curra, told me today that she was impressed with how much I've learned so far, and that she wants to make sure I keep improving. "I've got my eye on you, keep going!" she said. That made me smile :)

If there was ever a doubt that Granada was a good place for me, it has most certainly been erased. I definitely felt normal abroad nerves and anxieties, and still feel them from time to time. But so many people, places, and events have confirmed my belief that this is a special and unrepeatable experience. Since there is so much to write about, I will choose those events that have really stuck out to me as milestones.


Our residencia. There are so many things I appreciate about where I'm living. The first being Paqui, who I've written about before. She's our "host mom" who we all love so much. The first few weeks here, I could not communicate with Paqui at all on my own. She told Erin and Emily that I needed to talk more because I was so silent. But once classes started and I began learning Spanish, I started talking. And talking. And talking. Now Paqui must be biting her tongue. She hits my arm and says I am the one who knows the least and talks the most. (a compliment... maybe?). Some of my favorite moments here are daily conversations with Paqui. Although there is still sometimes a communication barrier, we've had some really great talks. She really is the best "mom" away from home I could ask for. The girls in the residencia are also wonderful. I live with 4 other American girls and 2 Spanish girls, and we all get along really well. We've had some great roomie bonding nights, and I'm sure they will keep coming.


Gibraltar. This was our first trip off of Spanish territory and on to British territory, even though it is only 3 hours away by bus. We took a day trip to Gibraltar, went all the way to the top of the famous rock (so we could see Africa!) and then hiked down and hung out with monkeys all day. Everywhere you look on the rock of Gibraltar, there are monkeys roaming around, jumping on people, posing for pictures (or so it seemed). My 4th grade monkey obsession was revisited in full force. It was a great day. Long, tiring, but very exciting and a lot of fun.


Grease. Walking home from school one day, Emily Erin and I saw I sign for "Grease, El Musical," and were intrigued. After seeing a promotional video with our favorite Grease songs sung in Spanish, we immediately bought our tickets. Right from the start of the show, we were singing along in our heads to "Noches de Amor," y "Soy Así, Soy Sandra Dee." The show was very professional, high-energy, and so much fun! It was such a special occasion to see and hear one of our favorite musicals in Spain. Emily bought the soundtrack (in Español, of course) and we've been listening to it on repeat.


Hiking in Granada.On one of my favorite evenings here, some of us took a hike up to a high point in Granada. From there, we sat overlooking the city and watched the sun slowly set. Someone brought their guitar and let me play some songs. Singing and playing guitar, overlooking my beautiful home here, feeling the still warm October air, and watching the sunset. It was a moment I wanted to seal up in a box and take with me so that I can have it forever.

Spanish Movie Nights. Sometimes we'll decide to stay in, with some tinto, and watch one of our favorite movies in Spanish. Titanic and Mean Girls have so far been the most successful. I have also recently discovered Spanish Disney songs on youtube, definitely a highlight of my trip.





These are some of the days and moments here that have stuck out to me as something special. Some days are very simple, but I still enjoy walking around and exploring the city. Even still, there are parts I have not seen and things I have not done. Although the time is flying by quickly (and I am about half-way through.. ah!) I am still looking forward to many things coming up. I have a lot of trips planned over the next many weeks, so I will do my best to write about them.

A word of insight before I go: People often say that every day abroad is amazing, and that you must make the most of every minute that you are abroad. I think, however, that one of the most helpful pieces of advice I received before I left for Spain was this: that it's amazing, but that you'll have good days and bad days while studying abroad. This may be something people forget to think about, because being abroad is such an adventure. But it is unrealistic to think that every minute you are abroad, you will be having the greatest time of your life. You will, however be learning all the time. Even (and especially) on the days that are hard. I've already learned a lot in so many ways. I've learned about Spain, about pushing my limits and trying new things, but also how to get through hard days in a foreign country. Away from the comfort of my family and friends. Although not every single day will be filled with adventures and excitement, every day will teach some kind of a lesson, which is the lesson I recently learned myself. I will leave you with a quote from one of my favorite books, The Secret Life of Bees.

"There is nothing perfect, only life."

Simple, but meaningful and true. I am truly appreciating my life here; it's not perfect, but it is a wonderful one. I hope you are appreciating yours too, wherever you are!

With love,
Eleanor


1 comment:

  1. Elle, I am absolutely in love with you and your blog posts. So inspiring <3 I know that you are living your abroad experience to the fullest and I am SO, SO proud. Ahhh, love you chica. Besos

    ReplyDelete